Islam

This blog is a space to talk about Islam and Islamic Character.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

The Hijab

Many people ask me why I dress the way I do. Now that the season is changing, I get a lot of "aren't you hot in that," "do you wear that all the time," and "don't you want to free yourself from your oppression?"

All of these questions stem from a basic fundemental misunderstanding. First, I do not consider myself oppressed, and NO I am not hot in this.

I went to Catholic school all my life on a tropical island where the nuns whore the traditional black and white habits. No one EVER asked them if they were hot. They dressed this way to show the world their "god-centeredness" and modesty. We Muslim women dress this way for the same reasons.

I found this website that does a lot to dispell this image of the oppressed Muslim woman, simply because she wears a small piece of light fabric on her head, and chooses not to make her body an area of public scrunity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home